Thursday, February 3, 2011

Make Practice Count!

I now am adding Highland Laddie to my repetoire, a favorite tune of mine.  This one will take some time-there's some bits that seem complicated and the timing is faster; I love a challenge!  As for all my other tunes, I seem to be getting sloppy.  I have a lot of crossing noises and not very clean doublings.  I think it's time to take a step back and concentrate on playing everything really, really well instead of focusing on the melody and trying to speed up the grace notes.  So with today's practice I really thought about each note and how it should sound, not how fast the grace note should be.  I think I'll ask my instructor to not give me another tune next week, and let me just try to play my current tunes better.  I still have issues with playing for the instructor-I sound so much better at home in the comfort of my spare bedroom than I do when I'm sitting across from her and she's scrutinizing each note!  As for the bagpipes-I have a long, long way to go.  I'm overblowing the reed big time, so we uncorked the second drone and suddenly it so much harder!  I can't imagine what it's going to be like when I finally get that mighty bass drone uncorked!

I've been running again these last few weeks and it's been hard.  It's interesting to me that my 2 favorite interests have so much in common-who knew that bagpiping and running were so similar?  They both require lots of patience; when I first started running I could barely manage a 1/2 mile before I had to walk.  I was running for almost 4 years before I got the courage to attempt and complete a marathon-that would be like entering your first piping competition or playing for the first time for an audience.  And it takes stamina for both, and good lungs, and a strong body and lots of determination.  The good side to all this is my instructor thinks (and I agree) that I'm pretty strong on the pipes right from the get-go because I know how to breath properly because of running and I've got lots of lung power!

No comments:

Post a Comment