Sunday, April 3, 2011

Uncorked!

I played Amazing Grace on the pipes for my instructor and managed the whole song, even the high A's, with only one minor cut out.  And finally-all three drones are uncorked!  I can't manage my full half hour on the pipes with all three drones playing.  I had no idea how physically exhausting this instrument is.  I can manage maybe 10 minutes, tops, of steady playing with all three drones before I have to call it quits and cork up a tenor drone.  The only way I'm going to conquer this instrument is to practice, practice, practice.  It's a marathon, not a sprint.  My new tune is Farewell to Camraw and I love it.  It's dark and dramatic and I think of it as a battle tune of sorts.  It's oddly challenging-when you look at the music, it doesn't appear terribly complicated; and yet, it isn't coming to me very easily.  I suppose it's also because I really want to play this one well.  The tune deserves my best. 

No comments:

Post a Comment