Thursday, January 6, 2011

The D slur

Yesterday's lesson-a new song and the D slur.  I finally managed to play Scots Wha Hae decently for my instructor.  I forced myself to slow down, even for the end where I usually speed up just to try to get through the song and it's finally good enough that I can move on to a new song.  I asked if this meant I can set Scots Wha Hae aside and work on other things-the answer was no.  Apparantly, I won't ever set any song aside, I just keep adding to my currently modest repetoire and practicing every song I learn.  So I still have a lot of practice to do on Scotland the Brave, and I now have Amazing Grace to practice.  Unfortunately, I didn't get a chance to practice immediately after my lesson.  So when I finally got home I couldn't remember how to do the D slur for Amazing Grace.  I went online and there's a tutuorial there but the guy plays it way to fast for me to see what he's doing.  I woke up last night at 2:00 am and couldn't sleep so there I was, practice chanter in hand, trying to listen to the online guy and see if I could figure out what he's doing by sound rather than by watching.  We'll find out this morning after my run when I'm on the pc whether I figured it out or not.

My instructor made another reference to me joining the band yesterday.  When we were going over Amazing Grace, she crossed out a lot of the doublings.  I told her I know them and I can play it with the doublings and she said "I know you can play them, but the band plays it without those doublings, so you should learn it that way."

Umm, OK-she thinks I'm going to join the band.  The pm thinks I'm joining the band and Hubby thinks I'm joining the band. 

I guess I'm joining the band.

No comments:

Post a Comment