Wednesday, January 12, 2011

One Note. Three Months.

Todays lesson-review STB and AG.  Turns out, somehow I started playing STB wrong-instead of playing E gracenotes I switched to G gracenotes throughout the entire song.  I now have to retrain my errant fingers to play the proper gracenotes and I'm not playing the leumlauths correctly-I kinda sorta started dropping the last little part.  And I need to slow down on AG-as in slow WAY down.  This is a HYMN-not a fast paced JIG.  Ah well-and I was so proud of my ability to play the 2 tricky parts of STB.

I was also quite proud of my new found ability to play the scale on the pipes.  Granted-that was with no drones and a lot of squawking and squeeking, and it took me forever to find low G just to start, but damn if I didn't play a few notes.  It was sort of frantic and crazy and not very pretty.  It's sort of like this-OK, fingers, play low G then A.  DON'T STOP SQUEEZING THE BAG!  AND BREATHE, DAMMIT, BREATHE!  Now, play another couple of notes.  DAMN-YOU FORGOT TO BREATH AGAIN AND YOUR BAG IS RUNNING OUT OF AIR!  AND WHY ARE YOU SUDDENLY LOCKING UP YOUR KNEES?  You get the picture.  I thought my instructor would be so proud of me, but instead she told me to stop trying to play the scale.  Do not pass go, do not collect $200.  I'm now only allowed to play one note-either low A or E, my choice.  No scales, no 2 notes together.  Just one lonely, sad little note for as long as I can hold it.  And I will probably be playing that one sad little note for 3 months-that's 3 STINKING MONTHS OF ONE NOTE.  And once I get proficient at that one note, guess what-I get to play one note with one drone.  Yay.

No comments:

Post a Comment