Wednesday, January 26, 2011

A New Song

This week's lesson went well.  I managed AG and STB with all the bits from last week corrected and AG even sounded rather good to me.  STB still doesn't sound right because I'm so slow but I played it, even the hard part.  I managed to get through We No Awa to Bide Awa without too much difficuly, and yet, once again-I'm trying to play it way to fast.  When am I going to learn to slow down?  So now I have yet another song to add to my repetoire and I like it very much.Will ye no Come Back Again.  There's no surprises there, it's a pretty simple song and I'm pretty sure I'll know it well enough to play a decent version next week.  I managed to struggle through it for my lesson this week, even though I still hate playing a new piece of music for my instructor.  I just decided I had to get over that fear-I'm going to make lots of mistakes, that's just part of the process.

As for the pipes-I'm overthinking everything involved in piping.  My arm is waving about wildly in an effort to keep the bag going and my breathing is erratic.  My instructor says to relax and just try playing a tune for fun.  She wants me to ignore the squeeks and squawks and the cutting out issues and stop thinking while I'm trying to play and just play for fun.  I'm definitely overblowing the chanter reed, but that's ok-I wondered if I should switch to a stiffer reed, but no-what will happen is when I'm finally blowing with all 3 drones the reed I have now will be just about right.  I'm just wondering if I'll actually be able to turn my brain off and just play?  Somehow my brain thinks it's in charge and refuses to be shut off. 

No comments:

Post a Comment